Safe Quality Food (SQF) Program in Australia
SQF is recognized by retailers and foodservice providers around the world who require a rigorous, credible safe quality food management system.
Using the SQF certification program will help reduce assessment inconsistencies and costs of multiple assessment standards. The SQF Program is recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and links primary production certification to food manufacturing, distribution and agent/broker management certification.
Today’s consumers are more educated about the food they’re providing their families and requiring more information about food quality. One link in the food chain does not get rattled without it affecting the next link. Customers expect more from their retailers and food service providers, who in turn expect more from their suppliers.
Heightened consumer demand for increased safe quality food moves down the chain with retailers and service providers asking suppliers to provide verifiable proof that robust SQF control systems have been effectively implemented. These systems must have been properly validated and show evidence of continuous monitoring procedures. This is where the Safe Quality Food Program comes in.
Administered by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), SQF benefits from continual retailer feedback about consumer concerns. These benefits are passed on to SQF certified suppliers, keeping them a step ahead of their competitors.
Key Benefits of Safe Quality Food (SQF) Certification
SQF certification demonstrates that your business is committed to a preventative, risk-based food safety programme with the following additional benefits:
- Consistent application across your sites, thus facilitating your internal benchmarking and giving you the ability to manage risks strategically across multi-site operations
- You can now add quality to your food safety certification which provides greater assurance and additional marketing opportunities through the use of the Quality Shield
- SQF provide additional support through a full-time customer support service, access to free webinars supporting the implementation and maintenance of the SQF system and retailer feedback about consumer concerns to help you keep one step ahead of your competitors
- You can improve your processes by proactively identifying and managing food safety hazards and regulatory requirements.
- Your organisation's commitment to a GFSI benchmarked food safety certification program, which provides your customers, consumers, and government agencies with assurance that effective control systems are in place
SQF is the only scheme to integrate a quality component as well as food safety.
The Safe Quality Food Institute Mission: To deliver consistent, globally recognized food safety and quality certification programs based on sound scientific principles, consistently applied across all industry sectors, and valued by all stakeholders.
Who Accepts the SQF standard: The major retailers (Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Metcash and Costco) accept the SQF Standard.
Sci Qual International is an approved certification body for some of the major retailers as outlined here.
SQF Vision: To be the single most trusted source for global food safety and quality certification.
SQF - Australasia/Pacific Region
Papua New Guinea
Federated States of Micronesia
Northern Mariana Islands
1st & 2nd Party Audits
In addition to 3rd party certification, Sci Qual International can offer 1st & 2nd party audits.
1st Party Audits
As long as you are not certified by Sci Qual International we can conduct internal audits of your management system to assist you in meeting your compliance requirements under a range of standards. This offers the advantage of an experienced auditor confirming that your internal procedures are being followed and that you are applying a continuous improvement and risk based approach.
Note: If you are certified by Sci Qual International we cannot conduct your internal audits as this would represent a conflict of interest under our JAS-ANZ accreditation.
2nd Party Audits
Sci Qual International can conduct second party audits to assess the performance of your suppliers or compliance with contract requirements etc. We have auditors experienced in QMS, EMS, OHS and Food safety certification.